Wealth Is Built Slowly, Lost Quickly
A tragedy from Maharashtra has been on my mind for the last few days.
According to preliminary reports, Yogesh Balasaheb Patil, a school principal from Hattij village in Barshi taluka of Solapur district, along with his wife and their two children, tragically lost their lives. Initial investigations have suggested that substantial losses in stock market investments had allegedly left him burdened with debts estimated at nearly ₹1.80 crore.
As the news spread, many stories began circulating. Some spoke of assets being sold. Others spoke of mounting financial pressure. As with any such incident, the complete facts will emerge only through a thorough investigation.
But when I read the news, I did not think about the stock market.
I thought about a father.
A husband.
A family.
And I wondered what must have been going through his mind in those final days.
How does a person reach a point where the burden feels heavier than hope?
As a Certified Financial Planner, I have spent years discussing money with people. I have seen excitement, ambition, confidence, fear, anxiety, regret, and sometimes even desperation.
And one thing I have learned is that money is rarely just about money.
Money is about emotions.
Money is about dreams.
Money is about status.
Money is about expectations.
And sometimes, money becomes a silent burden that nobody around us can see.
We Are Living in an Age of Financial Temptation
Never before has making money looked so easy.
Open social media and someone is showing screenshots of profits.
Open YouTube and someone is explaining how they identified a multibagger.
Join a WhatsApp group and somebody claims to have a "sure-shot" opportunity.
Attend an investment seminar and you hear stories of stocks that became three times, five times, even ten times.
After listening to enough of these stories, something begins to happen.
Slowly.
Quietly.
Without us even realizing it.
We stop asking, "What can go wrong?"
And start asking, "What if I miss out?"
That shift changes everything.
A Conversation I Still Remember
A few years ago, a gentleman approached me.
He wanted a loan against his securities.
As we spoke further, I realized he had already borrowed a substantial amount from his broker.
Now he wanted to borrow against his property as well.
The purpose?
To invest more money in the stock market.
I asked him a simple question.
"What if the market falls?"
He smiled.
"I know the risks."
I have heard that sentence many times in my career.
The truth is that most people understand risk only theoretically.
Risk looks manageable when markets are rising.
Risk looks manageable when everyone around you is making money.
Risk looks manageable when your portfolio is green.
The real understanding of risk comes only when losses arrive.
And losses always arrive.
Not because markets are bad.
But because markets are markets.
The Most Expensive Emotion in Investing
People often ask me what the biggest risk in investing is.
Most expect me to say market volatility.
Or inflation.
Or interest rates.
But over the years, I have come to believe that the biggest risk is something much simpler.
Greed.
Not the greed we see in movies.
Not the greed that looks evil.
The greed that looks perfectly reasonable.
The greed that whispers:
"Just a little more."
"Everyone else is making money."
"You are smarter than the average investor."
"You can exit before things go wrong."
"This time is different."
Greed rarely announces itself.
It disguises itself as confidence.
As intelligence.
As opportunity.
And that is why it is so dangerous.
The Strange Thing About Highly Educated People
One thing has always fascinated me.
Many people assume that financial mistakes happen because of a lack of education.
My experience has often been the opposite.
The biggest investment mistakes I have seen were not made by uneducated people.
They were made by successful professionals.
Doctors.
Engineers.
Business owners.
Senior executives.
People who are brilliant in their respective fields.
Because intelligence and wisdom are not the same thing.
A person can be highly educated and still become emotionally vulnerable when greed enters the equation.
In fact, intelligence sometimes creates a new problem.
We become exceptionally good at convincing ourselves that our risky decisions are actually smart decisions.
The Trap of Success
Behavioral finance teaches us something uncomfortable.
Success can be more dangerous than failure.
A person buys a stock.
It doubles.
He buys another.
It doubles too.
A third one works.
Confidence grows.
Then confidence becomes certainty.
Certainty becomes overconfidence.
Overconfidence becomes leverage.
And leverage turns a market correction into a personal crisis.
Many financial disasters do not begin with losses.
They begin with a series of successes.
What Nobody Shows You
Recently, I attended a session where a market expert showcased stock recommendations that had multiplied several times over.
The audience was impressed.
Who wouldn't be?
As the discussion progressed, someone said:
"Even if four out of ten ideas work, the returns will be fantastic."
Perhaps.
But a question crossed my mind.
What about the six that failed?
Nobody ever shows those slides.
Nobody creates YouTube videos titled:
"Here are the ten stocks I recommended and six of them destroyed wealth."
Nobody forwards those messages on WhatsApp.
Success stories travel.
Failure stories disappear.
As investors, we often see only the survivors and forget the casualties.
Wealth Is Not Created the Way Social Media Suggests
If there is one lesson my clients have taught me over the years, it is this:
Real wealth is surprisingly boring.
The clients who achieved financial freedom did not do anything extraordinary.
They did not discover secret stocks.
They did not use leverage.
They did not chase monthly double-digit returns.
They simply remained disciplined.
They invested regularly.
They respected risk.
They stayed patient during difficult periods.
And they repeated this process for years.
Not months.
Years.
Sometimes decades.
Compounding does not reward brilliance.
It rewards patience.
A Question Worth Asking
Whenever you make an investment decision, ask yourself:
"If this investment goes wrong, what will be the impact on my life?"
Not your portfolio.
Your life.
Will it affect your sleep?
Your peace of mind?
Your relationships?
Your family's security?
If the answer is yes, then the risk may already be too high.
Because the purpose of money is not to create stress.
The purpose of money is to reduce it.
What Truly Matters
As I thought about the tragedy in Solapur, one thought kept returning to me.
Every person who starts investing wants a better life.
Nobody enters the market intending to destroy their future.
Nobody takes risk hoping to hurt their family.
The intention is always good.
The dream is always positive.
Yet somewhere along the way, the pursuit of wealth can become more important than the purpose of wealth.
And that is where danger begins.
At the end of our lives, nobody will remember the return generated by a stock.
Nobody will care whether we beat an index.
Nobody will ask how many multibaggers we owned.
What will matter are the people we loved.
The lives we touched.
The memories we created.
Money is important.
But it was never meant to become more important than life itself.
Before I End...
If you are reading this as an investor, I want to leave you with one thought.
There is no shame in earning wealth slowly.
There is no shame in missing a hot stock.
There is no shame in choosing safety over excitement.
There is no shame in saying, "I have enough."
Because wealth is not about how fast you can grow your money.
Wealth is about having the freedom to sleep peacefully, spend time with your loved ones, and live life on your own terms.
The market will always offer another opportunity.
Life may not.
Protect both your capital and your peace of mind.
Both are far more valuable than you think.

Comments
Post a Comment