Teaching Kids About Money: Life Lessons from My Daughter ππΌ
Teaching kids about money is not just about numbers; it’s about values, priorities, and preparing them for life’s realities. As a financial planner, I’ve always believed in financial literacy, and I strive to practice what I preach at home. My daughter Advita has been an integral part of this journey, and I want to share two significant moments from our life that beautifully illustrate how involving kids in financial decisions can shape their understanding and outlook on money.
The Plot, the Loan, and the Family Budget π‘π³
Post-COVID, we made a major financial decision to purchase a plot. To fund this, we took a land loan—a commitment that came with the burden of interest. My priority was clear: repay the loan as quickly as possible to minimize the interest outflow and free up resources for future goals. This wasn’t just my decision; it was a family effort.
One evening, my wife, Advita, and I sat together to discuss our plan. I explained the concept of a loan, the cost of interest, and how every rupee saved on interest could be redirected toward our dreams, like Advita’s education π or even family vacations π✈️. We listed areas where we could cut back—dining out π΄, weekend outings π‘, and big trips—and agreed to a more minimalist lifestyle for a while.
Advita was curious and engaged throughout. She asked questions about how loans work and why paying extra could save money. She even suggested creative ways to enjoy weekends without spending much, like movie nights at home π₯ or picnics in the park π️. While the lifestyle changes weren’t easy, her understanding and involvement made the transition smoother and more meaningful.
The Small House vs. Bigger Dreams π ✨
“Why do we live in a small house when my friends have bigger homes?” Advita once asked me. It was a valid question, one that reflected her growing awareness of our financial standing compared to others.
I took this opportunity to explain our long-term goals. I told her about the plot we had purchased and how we planned to build a bungalow there. However, I also shared why staying in our current home made sense—it’s close to her school π«, her hobby classes π€, and her friends π¬. I explained how moving would disrupt her routine and that the extra rent for a larger home in the same area would impact our savings for bigger priorities πΈ.
As Advita enters critical academic years, maintaining stability in her life is our priority. She understood our reasoning, and though she occasionally revisits the topic, she appreciates the thought behind our decisions. More importantly, she’s learned that every choice comes with trade-offs and that some sacrifices today can lead to greater rewards tomorrow.
Lessons for Life π
These moments have not only taught Advita the basics of financial planning but have also instilled in her values of patience, prioritization, and delayed gratification. By involving her in our decisions, we’ve shown her that money is a tool to achieve goals, not just something to spend impulsively.
As parents, we often shield our children from financial realities, thinking it’s too complex or unnecessary. But kids are perceptive and curious. Involving them in age-appropriate financial discussions can help them develop a strong foundation for the future.
A Takeaway for Parents ππ
If you’re wondering how to start, begin with simple conversations about your family’s financial values. Share why you prioritize certain expenses over others or how you’re saving for a shared goal. Use real-life examples to explain concepts like budgeting or saving. Most importantly, listen to their questions and involve them in finding solutions π.
Through these small steps, we’re not just raising financially literate kids but responsible and empathetic individuals who understand the value of money and the importance of thoughtful decisions. And who knows? They might even surprise you with their insights and ideas, just like Advita has done for us π.

This really is a good share..I experienced similar situation while involving my daughter in such discussions..
ReplyDelete