From a pharma job to a thriving startup—with financial freedom along the way. 💼🚀

Neeraj Khare, after completing his formal education, started his career in the pharmaceutical sector and worked with reputed companies like Emcure, Mylan, and Dr. Reddy's. Our paths crossed somewhere in 2012 when he was investing in traditional instruments such as Fixed Deposits, Gold, and Post Office Schemes.

While his intent to invest was commendable, I introduced him to the concept of goal-based investing, explaining that aligning investments with future goals could be more impactful. He was curious and open to learning, so I guided him through the process of identifying goals, setting timelines, prioritizing them, and assigning reasonable costs.

Together with his wife, Pallavi, we mapped out their financial journey. We began with the importance of an emergency fund, assessing their cash flow needs and job stability. We also identified potential risks related to life and health and explored ways to mitigate them. After conducting a thorough income and expenses analysis and reviewing their assets and liabilities, Neeraj and his family felt a newfound sense of financial clarity. They now knew exactly what was coming in, what was going out, how much they had accumulated, and how much they owed. Most importantly, they understood why, how, and where to invest and whether they were investing sufficiently without compromising their lifestyle. One of the biggest learnings during this journey was their ability to distinguish between needs and wants. They developed the discipline to curb impulsive, unnecessary purchases—like buying a new flat when it wasn't needed or upgrading to a luxury car just for the sake of it. This clarity helped them stay focused on their true goals and avoid lifestyle inflation.

We met periodically to review their progress, ensuring they remained on track while adjusting for changes in income, expenses, and goals. Year after year, Neeraj was pleased to see steady progress toward his aspirations.

The Big Leap

One day, when Neeraj was General Manager at Mylan, he called me with an important decision. He had an opportunity to start his own business, and his analysis suggested great potential. However, he was concerned about losing a stable income and managing cash flow in the initial years. His biggest worry was ensuring his daughter's education remained unaffected.

To help him evaluate this transition, I asked about his business plan and the risks involved. I also asked what he would do if the business didn’t work out. He confidently stated that Plan B was to return to a similar role within three years, leveraging his strong professional network.

Identifying that his primary concerns were cash flow for three years and his daughter's education, I asked if he would be comfortable pursuing the startup if we ensured these two aspects were secure. He agreed. We planned for him to work for another year to build the required financial buffer. After a year, he took the plunge into entrepreneurship.

A Thriving Startup

Today, Neeraj's startup has grown to a team of over 100 people and was listed among the top 35 startups. They have even attracted venture capitalists with lucrative offers, but they declined as they do not require external funding. Unlike many startups that burn through cash, his venture is cash-rich and now looking to expand internationally.

Meanwhile, his daughter Siddhi excelled in academics, securing 99% in her 10th-grade exams and got admission at Fergusson College, Pune. She has since completed her post-graduation and started working last year. His wife, Pallavi, continues her consulting work with schools and colleges.

Today, Neeraj and his family have achieved financial freedom. They can stop working and still fulfill their remaining life goals while maintaining their desired lifestyle. His journey is truly inspiring—it highlights the power of focus, dedication, and a pragmatic approach to financial planning without getting lost in complex investment theories and jargon.

More Than Just a Client

Over the years, our professional relationship evolved into a deep brotherhood. Neeraj has always been there for me, offering guidance beyond finance, including health and personal matters.

One such moment stands out. When I purchased a plot to build my dream home, I took a land loan. However, the loan had a clause—if I didn't construct a house within 24 months, it would convert into a personal loan with retrospective interest. As the deadline approached, I needed ₹8L to close the loan but had only managed to arrange ₹3L.

In a casual conversation, I mentioned my concern to Neeraj. The next day, he called and said, “Nilesh, I’ll transfer ₹5L tomorrow. Go and close the loan.” I was taken aback by his generosity and told him I would manage within the next 5-6 months. But he insisted, saying, “This is not about money; it’s about our bond. I know you well, and as an elder brother, I want to help.”

I was overwhelmed by his gesture—an act of selfless support without me even asking. It reinforced how financial planning goes beyond numbers; it fosters deep, meaningful relationships.

I am truly grateful for my profession, which allows me to meet such wonderful people and build lifelong bonds. Neeraj’s story is a testament to how disciplined financial planning, combined with focus and determination, can lead to financial independence and a fulfilling life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Market Volatility into Opportunity

Wealth Is Built Slowly, Lost Quickly

Achieving Financial Freedom & Finding the Way of Life